Montgomery Personal Injury Lawyers
Fighting the future of Alabama families
Life can be hard, sometimes. It can get even harder when you suffer an injury that has been caused by someone else’s negligent actions. An injury, no matter its severity, can change your life in an instant. It might become difficult to pay the bills, pay the rent, buy food for your family and take care of yourself. Those difficulties are what drive the Montgomery personal injury attorneys from the Mezrano Law Firm to fight so hard for you. When you are hurt and you don’t know where to turn, turn to us. Let our family help yours.
What is a personal injury lawsuit?
There are two justice systems in America: the criminal justice system, which decides whether or not a person has broken the law, and the civil justice system, which handles non-criminal matters.
A personal injury claim is heard in civil court. It allows a person (called a plaintiff) who has sustained a loss or injury to sue for damages. These damages compensate the plaintiff for those losses. You generally have two years form the date you were injured, or should have reasonably known you were injured, to file a personal injury lawsuit.
Damages in Montgomery personal injury claims
Alabama offers two types of compensatory damages, which are damages paid to victims in an effort to help them get back to the lives they had prior to the accident:
- Non-economic damages: Non-economic damages are those that are difficult to quantify because there are no bills or invoices. These damages include emotional distress, pain and suffering, loss of consortium, loss of guidance, loss of companionship, loss of enjoyment of life and more.
- Economic damages: The economic damages you can sue for have a dollar value assigned to them. These include your medical bills, your lost wages (present and future), your loss of property (damage to your vehicle or home), and any other monetary losses you sustained.
In some cases, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Punitive damages are designed to punish the negligent parties for their actions. These damages are awarded if the actions of the defendant can be proven as intentional in nature, or especially egregious. Unlike compensatory damages, punitive damages are capped at either $1.5 million, or at 3x the compensatory award, whichever is less.
How contributory negligence can affect your award
Alabama is a contributory negligence state. This means that if the plaintiff shares some of the fault for the incident and/or the injuries, that plaintiff will be barred from recovering any award.
For example, say that you are driving on the “Highway to Hell” (US 431) when another driver fails to yield coming off the ramp of Rt. 79 and hits your car. However, you were not wearing your seatbelt at the time of the crash. Even though the accident was the other driver’s fault, your injuries were more severe because you were not buckled up. As a result, you can be barred from collecting compensation because your own actions contributed to the severity of your injuries.
Do I need a Montgomery personal injury attorney to file a claim?
Yes, you do! Hiring a personal injury attorney to represent you after you’ve been hurt is the first step to protecting your rights, your family, and your future. At Mezrano Law Firm, we handle all of the details so that you can focus on getting medical treatments, and recovering from your injuries. Our team:
- Investigates the scene of your accident, and speaks with eye-witnesses
- Reviews all photos and video footage of the scene
- Deal with the insurance companies, to ensure they are not harassing you with bills and phone calls
- Helps you get a rental car, a tow truck, or any other services for your property losses
- Reviews your medical records, and recommends specialists and scans to get to ensure you haven’t sustained other injuries
- Handles all settlement negotiations
- Represents you in court if the negligent party or insurer refuses to play fair
We have found that, in some cases, our willingness to try cases in court can help our clients reach a more just and fair settlement. If you’re happy, then we’re happy. But if a settlement is unjust, or if we believe that you have a better chance at a recovery if you go before a jury, we will help prepare you for that, too. We can discuss your options, and help you choose the best path forward.
How do I pay my injury lawyer?
At Mezrano Law Firm, we take our cases on contingency. That means if you don’t win, we don’t get paid.
After you win your case, we take our fees and costs from your final award. You never pay anything upfront, and you don’t have to worry about getting billed while you’re still in negotiations.
Experienced counsel in a wide range of cases
The team from the Mezrano Law Firm is available to represent you no matter what types of injury you have sustained. Contact our personal injury lawyers in Montgomery for help with:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Wrongful death
- Traumatic brain injury
- Premises liability claims
- Product liability claims
- Nursing home abuse
- Workers’ Compensation benefits
- Social Security Disability benefits
Montgomery Regional Airport
4445 Selma Hwy.
Montgomery County Courthouse
251 S Lawrence St.
Montgomery Fire/ Rescue
19 Madison Ave.
Montgomery Police Department
320 North Ripley Street
Baptist Medical Center East
400 Taylor Road
1725 Pine Street
Montgomery personal injury lawyers you can trust
Were you injured in a car, truck, motorcycle or slip and fall accident? Has a family member been injured in a construction or work accident? The time to contact an attorney is now. Don’t let the statute of limitations run out. Call the Montgomery personal injury lawyers of Mezrano Law Firm at 205-206-6300 or fill out the contact form on the website to schedule a consultation.
If you have a case, you have a lawyer. Call us today to learn more about how we can help you.