Florence Social Security Disability Attorneys
Assistance with SSDI and SSI claims throughout Alabama
You’ve worked hard all your life. The last thing you expected was to become ill or injured, disabled and unable to continue your job. You’re probably facing worry and uncertainty about the future. The good news is, you may have options in the form of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. The bad news? Often, first-time applications for benefits are denied for a variety of reasons.
Many people whose claims are denied simply accept that denial of benefits, even though they worked for and earned those benefits. The Florence Social Security Disability attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm understand that you deserve those benefits and need them to get by day-to-day. We can help review and file your claim, and work on your appeal if your benefits have been denied.
Note: The local Florence Social Security office is located at 203 South Walnut Street, Florence, Alabama, 35630. It can be reached at 1-855-884-3407.
Types of Social Security Disability benefits
If you can’t join or re-join the workforce due to physical injury or mental disability, you may be eligible for SSDI benefits. An experienced lawyer can talk to you about the details of the benefits available, but following are a few.
- Social Security Disability Insurance. SSDI is designed for employees who have paid into Social Security via payroll taxes, but are no longer able to work full-time due to disability. Applicants must meet the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) definition of disability, and within five years of the last date they worked continuously. Usually, the amount of SSDI a person can collect depends on their current lifetime earnings.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI). The SSI program is designed for people with disabilities who have limited incomes and assets. They may have not paid into the payroll tax system.
- Disabled widow/widower benefits. Widows or widowers over 50 who develop a disability within a certain number of years of a spouse’s death may be eligible for SSDI benefits. The couple must have been married for at least 10 years.
Eligibility for Social Security Disability Insurance in Florence
The SSA must first determine if you’re disabled when considering your eligibility for SSDI. The Social Security Administration looks at a certain set of criteria when making this decision. According to the SSA’s definition, a person is disabled if they are unable to:
- Engage in substantial and gainful activity due to a medical, physical or mental ailment that may result in death or has lasted, or can be expected to last, for at least one year.
- Perform the requirements of the job they held before they became impaired.
- Adjust to other types of work because of the physical or psychological impairment combined with their level of education, age, and past experience.
There are a number and variety of conditions and illnesses that the SSA considers severe enough to prevent a person from performing gainful and substantial activity. These can include:
- Cardiovascular conditions
- Digestive tract problems
- Hematological disorders
- Immune system disorders
- Kidney disease and genitourinary problems
- Mental disorders
- Musculoskeletal problems
- Neurological disorders
- Respiratory illnesses
- Skin disorders
- Vision and hearing loss
Reasons you need a Florence SSDI attorney
Even if it’s true many first-time SSDI applicants are denied benefits, by no means does this mean you shouldn’t apply or give up on your claim. Experienced and skilled SSDI lawyers know how to put together strategic and organized appeals. Filing even a simple claim can be complicated, so it’s important to consult with an attorney you can trust to ensure you get everything done right the first time, and start the process of securing your benefits as soon as possible.
The legal team at Mezrano Law Firm works to gather all the documents and records necessary to make your SSDI claim a success. We assist and provide knowledgeable guidance throughout the entire process. Because we know investigation and documentation is key, we’ll talk to your doctors and medical professionals, collecting your diagnoses and medical visits.
We strengthen your claim with things like:
- Earning statements
- Medical records
- Accident witness statements
- Prescription lists
- Physical therapy records
We don’t stop working – following up with the SSA to ensure your claim is progressing smoothly and speaking to representatives on your behalf is our job. Your job is to rest and continue healing while we deal with the government for you.
If your claim is approved, we make sure you’re awarded the maximum and fair amount of insurance to which you’re entitled. And if for some reason it’s not, we continue working on an appeal to secure the SSDI benefits you need.
Remember, there are time limits on filing for both SSDI benefits and appeals. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today.
Talk to experienced Florence SSDI attorneys today
Was your Social Security Disability claim denied? Don’t give up. The tenacious lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm will fight to get your application approved. You’ve worked hard for these benefits and we want to help you get them. Call us today at 205-206-6300 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation at our Florence office.