Tuscaloosa Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Representing injured Alabama motorcyclists
Out here in the Tuscaloosa area, we have many motorcycle enthusiasts who love to take to the local roads and highways during good weather days, or take in scenic rides along the Black Warrior River. And, motorcyclists have the same rights on the road as every other driver. With many big highways feeding into the area, like US-11, US-43 and US-82, traffic can often get busy and other motorists can get careless.
Sharing the road with cars and trucks can be devastating for a motorcyclist in the event of a car accident. Most bikers are safety-conscious on the road and aware of the risks. However, other motorists often fail to pay attention to motorcycles around them, causing accidents and great injury to the motorcyclist. A motorcycle provides very little protection compared to a car or truck, and a rider rarely walks away from an accident unscathed.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident due to another’s negligence, the personal injury attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm can help hold them accountable – and we’ll put our experience to work to ensure you’re compensated for all your injuries and losses. Talk to us before the insurance companies. Schedule a consultation with us today to get started.
Causes of Tuscaloosa motorcycle accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that motorcyclists are 28 times more likely as passenger car occupants to die in a motorcycle crash. Cars and similar vehicles come with safety features like a metal frame, airbags and seatbelts. A motorcycle leaves the rider completely exposed, other than their safety gear.
Many motorcycle accidents occur between a motorcycle accident and a passenger vehicle, like a car or truck. And, many accidents happen for the same reasons as car accidents, with some differences due to the size disparity between the vehicles. Some causes of motorcycles due to another’s negligence include:
- Dangerous conditions. Sometimes it’s not another driver who causes your accident, but conditions on the road. Tree debris, failure to clear roadwork properly, potholes, or other issues that cause accidents and injuries may be due the negligence of a township or municipality.
- Drunk or impaired driving. When any driver gets behind the wheel under the influence of drugs or alcohol – or even driving drowsy – they’re a risk to anyone on the road. Impaired drivers with bad judgment and poor reflexes cause many fatal accidents.
- Improper lane changes. Motorcycles are less easily seen in a vehicle’s blind spot – but that doesn’t excuse another driver from looking. Inattentive drivers making sudden or unexpected lane changes can collide with a motorcyclist.
- Manufacturing defects. If your accident occurred because of a manufacturing defect on your motorcycle, you may be eligible for a product liability A skilled attorney can help you prove faulty brakes or other manufacturing errors caused your wreck and injuries.
- Sudden stops. A sudden stop in front of a motorcycle could cause a serious accident. Slamming on the brakes gives a bike little time to react, and rear-ending a car may throw a rider from their motorcycle, causing serious or fatal injury.
Common Tuscaloosa motorcycle crash injuries
We keep mentioning the exposed nature of a motorcycle, and that’s for a reason. During an accident, as a rider, you could suffer a variety of different injuries. And, depending on the type of accident and conditions, injuries could range from mild to severe, resulting in long-term of permanent disability. Some accidents may be so serious that a loved one may be killed by someone’s carelessness on the road.
Common injuries from motorcycle wrecks include:
- Amputations. Especially serious accidents may cause catastrophic injuries like amputations, resulting in lifetime medical costs and care.
- Broken bones. When a rider is thrown or falls from their bike, they can suffer fractures or broken bones. These tend to be some of the more common motorcycle accident injuries.
- Burns. Victims of motorcycle wrecks can suffer severe burns from fuel catching on fire or from a hot exhaust pipe touching the skin.
- Road rash. Safety outwear gives you a lot of protection in the event of an accident, but it’s not totally effective. Many motorcyclists suffer serious friction burns and abrasions after a crash, requiring medical attention.
- Spinal cord injury. Any serious accident can cause back or spinal cord injury. Severe physical trauma can lead to paralysis and a lifetime of medical care.
- Traumatic brain injury. Injuries to the head can range from minor to life threatening to fatal. The effects of a brain injury, no matter how minor, can last a lifetime and in some cases result in permanent disability.
- Wrongful death. In the most serious cases, reckless drivers can cause accidents that result in an innocent rider’s death, leaving a family behind who must deal with funeral expenses and other bills.
If you’re hurt in a Tuscaloosa motorcycle accident that wasn’t your fault, we’ll work to recover expenses for your medical bills and losses, as well as plan for your future medical costs.
Remember, wearing a helmet can save your life if you’re involved in a crash on your motorcycle. Alabama state law requires motorcyclists wear protective helmets while riding.
A Tuscaloosa motorcycle accident attorney can help
The average person isn’t familiar with the fine details of motorcycle laws and insurance policies. After an accident, it’s wise to work with an experienced local lawyer when seeking compensation. Although your case may feel “open and shut” enough to handle yourself, your accident attorney can take the burden of negotiating with the insurance companies off you, while you take time to heal.
The legal team at Mezrano Law firm has decades of experience working with insurance companies, and won’t let them lowball you – we understand exactly what your claim and damages are worth. We work to recover:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Current and future lost income
- Out-of-pocket costs
- Physical pain
- Emotional suffering
- Other damages
The sooner you talk to an attorney after your accident, the better. We can get started investigating your accident, collecting documentation, and interviewing any witnesses or law enforcement. Our job is building a strong case for you.
Dedicated Tuscaloosa motorcycle accident lawyers
The motorcycle wreck attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm can help if you or a loved one were injured in an accident. We protect your rights to compensation and fight to get your bills paid while you heal from your injuries. Call us today at 205-206-6300 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation at our Tuscaloosa office.
2615 6th Street, Suite 9
Tuscaloosa, AL 35401