Alabama Product Liability Lawyers
When you’re hurt, Mezrano Law Firm helps
From the moment you wake up in the morning and until you get into bed at night, you will use, interact with, and ride in dozens of products, most of which will not cause you any harm. But every day in the United States, someone suffers a serious injury because of a defective product. The experienced Alabama product liability lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm are committed to protecting your rights. Call us today to find out how.
Types of product liability lawsuits
While there are many different types of defective products that cause people harm, there are three general categories for defective product claims:
- Design defect. In these cases, the product’s defect was introduced in the design stage. An example of defective product design would be a saw that did not include a guard to protect users from injuring their fingers, or a toy designed for a small child but contains a choking hazard.
- Manufacturing defect. A product liability case based on a manufacturing defect is rare, but it includes cases where the ingredients for a drug manufacturer were tainted with a carcinogenic substance.
- Marketing defect. These are also called “failure to warn” cases because they are related to the labeling of a product. Failure to warn is about inadequate warning about the dangerous aspects inherent in a product. For example, a drug maker knows about some adverse effects of a new drug but fails to include this information on the warning label, or Monsanto fails to warn consumers about the potential link between using Roundup and developing non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
A recent product defect case that checks multiple boxes is the dual combat earplugs, manufactured by 3m. These earplugs had a design defect which 3M knew about, yet failed to disclose before entering into a contract with the U.S. government. As a result, thousands of our active duty servicepeople have sustained permanent hearing damage and loss.
If you used a defective 3M earplug, or were hurt by any dangerous product, an Alabama personal injury lawyer from our firm will review your case with you and help you to understand based on the way you were injured, which category of product liability law your case would fall under.
Examples of defective products that have caused injuries or death
A defective product can cause any number of injuries, but some industries seem more prone to defects than others. Here are some of the more common claims Mezrano Law Firm handles.
Perhaps the biggest product liability case in automotive history was the defective Takata airbags, which caused serious injuries and deaths, and required the recall of millions of defective airbags that could explode without warning. Other defective automotive products include:
- Defective brakes
- Exploding fuel tanks
- Seat back failures
- SUVs prone to rollover
- Defective steering column
- Tire defects
- Defective seat belts
Defective medical devices
These devices have failed after having been implanted into patients’ bodies; they have required revision surgeries, caused adverse health conditions including pain, infections, disability, and more due the FDA’s less than stringent standards for allowing manufacturers to market untested medical devices to consumers:
- Metal-on-metal artificial hip and knee implants
- Essure birth control device
- Artificial heart valves
- Hernia mesh implants
- Defective defibrillators
- Defective pain pumps
- IVC filters
- Power morcellators
- DaVinci robots
The following are examples of drugs that have caused adverse effects. Some have been recalled and consumers have filed lawsuits after taking them:
Alabama defective drug and devices lawyers.
Dangerous children’s products
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is the governmental agency tasked with oversight for toy safety. The CPSC reported that in 2018, they recalled 18 different types of toys at the ports, two of which contained lead. Children’s furniture can also pose safety hazards including defective cribs, strollers, and infant car seats. The CPSC keeps an up-to-the-minute list of recalled children’s’ products on its website.
What can a product liability lawyer do to help my case?
Product liability cases are complicated, and they require medical experts in the investigation process to review your medical records and help develop a strong case for you.
To prevail in a defective product injury case, you must be able to prove that you were using the product appropriately, the product was defective, and that the product’s defect was the direct cause of your injury. To develop the evidence to prove this, the subject matter expert will have to provide research and evidence that can provide proof that connects the defective product with the cause of your injury.
Also, the defendant’s insurance company is going to have a team of defense lawyers fighting to make sure that you do not recover any compensation, or as little as possible. At Mezrano Law Firm, we are here to represent your interests and make sure that you can recover as much compensation as possible while we hold those responsible for causing your injuries accountable. Whether we settle the case with the insurance company or prepare for litigation, our Alabama product liability lawyers are here to fight for you.
What types of damages are available for my defective product injury case?
When people consider filing a personal injury claim for a defective product injury, they are probably wondering how much their injury claim is worth. They have heard about lawsuits with multi-million-dollar verdicts, and they wonder if that type of life-changing verdict might be in their future. Sadly, we usually have to disillusion new clients, and bring them down to earth with more realistic expectations according to the facts of their case. Some of the different types of damages you might recover include:
- Medical expenses for all your medical care related to the injury in the past, the present, and into the future for ongoing health conditions
- Any lost wages, or loss of future earning potential
- Pain and suffering from the injury
- Emotional distress about how the injury is affecting your life
- Loss of consortium for spouses of the injured person
Alabama product liability lawyers you can rely on
After suffering a serious injury in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you want a personal injury team that you can trust to recover the compensation you need to get on with your life. The experienced Alabama personal injury lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm represent clients throughout the state with offices in Birmingham, Mobile, Florence, Gadsden, and Tuscaloosa. You may schedule your free consultation to discuss your case with a skilled Alabama personal injury lawyer by calling 205-407-1768 or filling out our contact form.
If you have a case, you have a lawyer. Call us today to learn more.