Birmingham (205) 206-6300
Montgomery (334) 232-7000
Mobile (251) 930-6300
Florence (256) 203-3000
Tuscaloosa (205) 722-6898
Gadsden (256) 712-4377

Road Defects: Can You Sue a City for Bad Roads?

Working hard for victims of car crashes throughout the state

If you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you can file a personal injury claim against them for damages. However, if the negligent party that caused your injury was a city, county, or state governmental agency, things get a little bit more complicated. When you have been in a car accident due to road defects, you may wonder, "can you sue a city for bad roads?" Well, let's dive into that.

Call For a FREE Consultation 

Call us at (205) 654-8146 24/7 to arrange to speak with a personal injury lawyer about your case, or contact us through the website today.

Road Defects-Can You Sue a City for Bad Roads?

Can You Sue a City for Bad Roads? road defects

At Mezrano Law Firm, we have helped Alabama clients injured in car accidents caused by bad roads. We know what it takes to bring a successful claim against a county and state government because. We are here to help you recover the compensation you need after an injury caused by bad roads. Contact us today to get started.

Who Maintains Roads?

Roads are maintained by the city or town, county, or state government authorities. If the accident caused by road defects caused your injury, you might have a case. In addition to suing a government agency for your property damage and injuries, you may also be able to hold a private contractor responsible.

How Hard is it to Sue the Government?

Filing a claim against a governmental authority can be complicated. Working with an experienced Alabama car accident lawyer will help ensure that you get the most compensation possible.  You can feel confident working with car accident lawyers from Mezrano Law Firm because we have experience handling claims caused by defective roadway design.

We provide a free initial consultation where you can discuss your case, and you will not pay attorney fees unless we can recover compensation for you. Contact our car accident lawyers today.

How Much Does it Cost to Sue a City For Bad Roads?

If you have been injured in a car accident caused by road defects, you may be able to sue the city, state, or county. Suing a government for bad roads will typically fall under a personal injury claim and works on a contingency basis. Contingency fees are only charged if you win a settlement in or out of court. This fee schedule allows you to hire the representation you deserve while ensuring the lawyers work hard on your case.

How Can Road Defects Lead to Car Accidents?

When you think about bad roads, the first thing that might come to mind is a huge pothole, but road defects can encompass many different types, including:

  • Malfunctioning traffic signals
  • Defective signage
  • Missing or inadequate guardrails
  • Dangerous curves
  • Poor drainage
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Faded lane markings
  • Crumbling or uneven asphalt
  • Deficient paving
  • Narrow road shoulder
  • Road construction hazards
  • Inadequate warning around construction sites
  • Poor intersection design

How To Sue the City for Bad Roads

There are many steps to take when you want compensation for injuries caused by bad roads. Here are a few things to keep in mind.

Hire Mezrano Law Firm

At Mezrano Law Firm, we have handled cases involving bad roads. We have helped clients recover compensation from the county and state. We are eager to put our knowledge and experience to fight for justice for you. You no longer need to worry about if you can sue a city for bad roads- if you got hurt, you may have a case.

Consider Statute of Limitations 

  • If your accident occurred on a city or municipal road, there is a legal time limit of 6 months from the accident date to file a notice of claim.
  • If your accident occurred on a state highway, you have one year from the date of injury or two years for claims for injury resulting in death.
  • If your accident happened on a federal or interstate highway, you have two years from the date of the accident to file an administrative claim with the appropriate government agency.

File a Notice of Claim

While you can file the notice yourself, hiring our personal injury lawyers will remove stress and confusion. Contact us today to get started.

Gather Evidence 

Our team of lawyers will get the evidence needed to win your case against the city.


At this point your team of experienced lawyers will work with the city to settle outside of court. If that doesn't happen, we will move towards a court date.

Types of Car Accident Cases We Handle

Our attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:

Contact Mezrano Law Firm

With more than 40 years of combined legal experience, the Alabama car accident attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm are here to pursue justice for their injured clients. If you are wondering if you can sue the city for road defects, the answer is: quite possible!  Contact us today.

Free Consultation

Contact Us Today

map-marker linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram