Montgomery Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Protecting the rights of Alabama motorcyclists
The Montgomery, Alabama area is full of roads and highways for motorcyclists to take scenic rides on the weekends. Highways I-65 and I-85, along with a variety of smaller local roads, give riders the option to commute to work or take longer, pleasure rides in great weather. And, motorcycles are a great alternative to cars for many – fuel efficient and fun to ride.
However, along with the freedom of the open road comes the risk of sharing that road with larger vehicles like passenger cars and large trucks.
When a motorcyclist is involved in an accident with a car or truck, the outcome can be catastrophic. Because a bike provides little to no protection from the impact of a crash, the rider can suffer life-threatening injuries – injuries that could take months or years to heal. These types of injuries can send the victim into a financial and physical tailspin. The most upsetting part about motorcycle accidents is that the negligent driver of the other vehicle may walk away without a scratch.
When a careless driver injures you in a motorcycle accident, the injury attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm in Montgomery stand ready to help. You deserve compensation for your losses and injuries, and our legal team will put our decades of experience to work to help you get it. Talk to us today.
Common causes of Montgomery motorcycle accidents
Other drivers’ inattention and lack of visibility are typically to blame for most motorcycle accidents. According to the National Highway Transportation & Safety Administration (NHTSA), 5,286 motorcyclists were killed in accidents across the U.S. in 2016. And, 96 of these fatalities occurred in Alabama.
Other common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Driving distracted. Distracted driving is a huge problem across the country, as well as being against the law, but it still happens all the time. Whenever a driver takes their eyes off the road, even for an instant, they can miss a motorcyclist changing lanes or entering the roadway and cause a collision.
- Drunk driving. It goes without saying drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol pose a risk to everyone, as they have poor judgment and impaired reflexes behind the wheel. Motorcyclists are particularly vulnerable, as drunk drivers may never even see them due to their small size.
- Failure of drivers to watch for motorcycles at intersections. Again, because of their size, some motorists simply don’t even look for motorcycles. Some drivers are inclined to make quick turns without checking for other vehicles at intersections, and can fail to notice oncoming motorcycles.
- Failure to yield. Motorists often cause accidents when they fail to yield to motorcyclists. This usually happens because the other driver didn’t take proper care to look for the motorcycle before pulling out.
- Rear-end accidents. Motorists who tailgate motorcycles can easily cause an accident. Bikes have a shorter stopping distance than cars or trucks, which means other vehicles need to keep more space behind them – otherwise a rear-end accident could occur, throwing a motorcyclist from their bike.
- Reduced visibility. Motorcycles can be difficult to spot, even in the best of weather. Inattentive motorists must pay attention for headlights and brake lights in inclement weather or during twilight and dusk (and ensure yours are in working order).
- Roadway hazards. Sometimes it’s not another driver at all, but road conditions. Things like spilled truck cargo, tree debris or rocks, potholes or other bad road conditions can cause sudden rough driving and accidents.
Typical motorcycle accident injuries
The NHTSA reports that 80% of all reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death to the motorcyclist. Because motorcycles offer virtually no protection to the rider, aside from personal safety gear, even a minor accident can cause serious and long-lasting injuries. Some accidents may be serious enough to cause a rider to lose their life due to another person’s carelessness.
Common motorcycle injuries include:
- Broken and fractured bones. The impact of being thrown from a motorcycle or being pinned between vehicles can break or crush bones. Depending on the severity, accident victims can be left with permanent nerve damage or disfigurement.
- Burn injuries. In a crash, motorcyclists can receive serious burns from things like gas tank spillage – burn injuries can range from minor to extremely serious, requiring skin grafts and months of recovery time.
- Emotional trauma. The aftermath of a serious accident can leave emotional injuries as well as physical. Post-traumatic stress disorder is a common reaction to a stressful situation like a severe injury or accident.
- Facial injuries. Although wearing a helmet can help minimize the risk of facial injury, serious accidents can still cause injuries like broken jaws or facial disfigurement.
- Road rash and abrasions. Skin abrasions and road rash occurs when a motorcyclist is thrown from their bike and skids across the pavement. Protective clothing can help with the severity of abrasion in the event of a crash.
- Spinal cord injuries. Injuries to the spinal cord are another common injury, and can cause long-term disability or paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injury. TBI is one of the leading causes of death and injury when it comes to motorcycle accidents. A helmet can save your life in the event of a crash, and Alabama state law requires bikers wear protective helmets while riding.
Do I need a Montgomery motorcycle accident lawyer?
The unfortunate thing about accidents is that you can take every precaution, wear all the right protective gear, and follow every traffic law to a T. Encountering one reckless or negligent driver can cause an accident and then cause you injury. And, as we know, that lack of protection on a motorcycle can cause the rider to experience much more serious physical trauma than the motorist who caused the crash in the first place.
This is why it’s so important to sit down with an experienced attorney to talk about your accident and injuries. The team at Mezrano Law Firm is well versed in personal injury cases, and understands how to work with insurance companies to recover maximum compensation for your losses, including things like:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages from being unable to work, including in the future
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages (awarded by the court when appropriate)
In our years of experience working with victims of motorcycle accidents, we’ve come to understand the inherent bias against motorcyclists. We know the clients we represent are not reckless risk-takers – but simply victims trying to heal from their injuries. Our job is to build the strongest case against the negligent party and secure you compensation.
Honest Montgomery motorcycle accident lawyers
The motorcycle accident attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm will protect your rights if you were injured due to another’s negligence. While you heal from your injuries, we work to secure compensation for your losses, medical bills and lost wages. Call us today at 205-206-6300 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation in our Montgomery office.