Montgomery Car Accidents Attorney
Protecting Alabama injury victims after a crash
Do you feel safe when you get in your car in the morning to go to work? How about when you are on your commute home at the end of a long day? Do you truly feel safe? Aren’t you worried about the other drivers around you? There are thousands of accidents every year in Montgomery that cause millions of dollars in property damage and even more in medical claims. Between impaired, distracted, and drowsy drivers; there’s always danger around you when driving your car. Add in defective roads and inclement weather and driving can be downright dreadful. The Montgomery car accidents attorneys from the Mezrano Law Firm understand how serious injuries suffered in a car accident can be and we fight for all of our clients no matter the cause of the accident that left them injured.
Minor Impact Soft Tissue (MIST) injuries
The term MIST, coined in the 1990s to categorize injuries to soft tissues in the body, is used often to describe injuries suffered by car accident victims. Many people believe that injuries to soft tissue cannot occur when the accident occurred at a low rate of speed, such as a minor fender bender, but this cannot be further from the truth. The four main injuries that are viewed as MIST include whiplash, strains, contusions and sprains.
- Whiplash: Whiplash occurs when the impact of the crash causes the head and neck to violently jerk back and forth. The patient can wind up suffering from headaches, dizziness, trouble concentrating, trouble remembering things and even problems with balance.
- Strains: A strain is when a muscle or tendon is stretched or torn. In car accidents, this injury most often occurs in the victim’s back.
- Contusions: A contusion occurs when the capillary underneath the skin bursts. This leads to a discoloration of the skin, a bruise, and can be very painful. While a contusion will heal in time on the outside of the skin, the muscles or tendons underneath the skin could very well suffer permanent damage.
- Sprains: A sprain occurs when a muscle or tendon is stretched or torn. A sprain occurs most often in the arm, wrist, knee or ankle. It can be a very painful injury that prevents you from completing simple tasks throughout the day.
Many car accident victims also suffer neck injuries of varying degrees. A neck injury can leave a car accident victim paralyzed if it is serious enough. The injury might also require surgery or other intensive therapy to resolve. Patients who suffer neck injuries might have trouble sleeping, turning their head, lifting their head, reading and more.
Have you heard of the term traumatic brain injury, or TBI? TBI includes concussions and other severe trauma to the brain. A victim of a car accident can suffer a TBI even if the airbag deploys in the crash because the sheer force of the impact. TBI injuries are almost always caused by head-on collisions and T-bone accidents. Victims can suffer permanent paralysis because of a TBI. Bleeding on or next to the brain is another type of TBI caused by Montgomery car accidents.
Common causes of Montgomery car accidents
The victims of Montgomery car accidents can be left dealing with serious injuries that prevent them from working and a car that can no longer run. Many car accidents are the result of distracted or impaired drivers, drowsy drivers, inexperienced drivers and many other circumstances. Other causes include the following:
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy driving
- Inexperienced drivers
- Road defects
- Vehicle defects
- Aggressive drivers
Road defects can be found just about everywhere in the Montgomery area. You might not be looking for them when driving but they are there. A road defect can easily lead to a serious accident that causes you to suffer injuries that keep you from working. When a road defect leads to an accident, the local government can be held accountable for failure to maintain the roads properly. Some common road defects include the following:
- Malfunctioning or broken traffic lights
- Improper road signage
- Poor drainage
- Faded or missing lane markers
- Overgrown vegetation
- Road indentations
- Uneven pavement
- Missing guardrails
- Dangerous intersections
- Inadequate lighting
Should I file an insurance claim?
Our Montgomery car accidents attorneys at the Mezrano Law Firm are here to make your life as easy as possible when dealing with injuries stemming from a car accident. We know that your first instinct would be to file an insurance claim for the damage to your vehicle and the injuries you have suffered. It’s important to know how insurance companies operate. They operate based on the fact that they want to issue checks for as little as possible when a claim is made. That’s why you should always talk to an attorney before speaking to an insurance company, even your own carrier.
Can I claim pain and suffering in a Montgomery car accident?
Many car accident victims include pain and suffering in their claim against the party responsible for the accident that left them injured. Pain and suffering are very difficult to prove, especially if you cannot show physical injuries. Why? Pain and suffering includes injuries that are emotional in nature and do not have visible signs like bruises, broken bones, or TBI. Pain and suffering often includes anxiety, depression, emotional distress and other emotional trauma. In order to claim pain and suffering you will need to provide the following evidence:
- Medical bills
- Prescription receipts
- Doctor’s notes
- Medical records
- Proof of lost wages
- Photos of your physical injuries
You will need to provide proof of your physical injuries to an insurance company or to a jury or judge presiding over your lawsuit. A diagnosis of an emotional condition from your doctor can help move your claim forward.
Call the Mezrano Law Firm to schedule a consultation
Did you suffer an injury in a Montgomery car accident? Are you worried that you will be unable to pay the medical bills associated with the crash while you are out of work? Our experienced Montgomery car accidents attorneys are here to fight for your rights as a car accident victim. Call our Montgomery office at 205-206-6300 or fill out our contact form to schedule your free consultation.
If you have a case, you have a lawyer. Call us today to learn more about how we can help you.
- Mezrano Law Firm Obtained a $380,000 Verdict against AllState for Our Car Accident Client
- Who Is Liable in a Traffic Merging Accident?
- Women Suffer Whiplash Injuries More Frequently than Men in Car Accidents
- Alabama Mandatory Liability Insurance Law
- Electrical Defects in Cars Can Lead to Big Problems for Drivers
- The Dangers of Defective Roadways in Alabama
- What Should I Do After I Have Been in an Auto Accident?
- Alabama’s Graduated Driver’s License Program and Law