Mobile Car Accident Lawyers
Fighting for Alabama victims of car accidents
Although traffic fatalities are finally trending downward after two consecutive years of large increases, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that 37,133 people lost their lives in traffic crashes in 2017 throughout the U.S. Ever traffic fatality is tragic because almost all traffic accidents could have been prevented. If drivers decided to call a cab or an Uber instead of driving drunk, if that annoyed commuter decided that rushing and speeding was not worth the lives placed in danger because of their dangerous driving, or if that teen driver understood that you really can’t divide your attention between texting and driving, more Americans would be uninjured and alive today.
The Alabama Department of Transportation reports that there was a traffic crash every 200 seconds in 2017, a person was injured in a traffic crash every 11 minutes, and in fatal crashes where seat belts were available, almost 60% of fatalities were unrestrained.
If you or a loved one was injured in a traffic accident, the Mobile car wreck lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm are here to help. We offer a free consultation to discuss your case, and you will not pay attorney fees until we recover compensation for you.
What are the most common causes of car accidents?
Car accidents are far too common, and many of them are caused because of some form of driver error. Focused attention to the task of driving seems to be a rare commodity, but when a driver’s attention is taken with something other than driving, or when they are impaired, disaster ensues. Here are some examples of the most common causes of car crashes:
- Drunk driving. Each day in the U.S. almost 30 people are killed in traffic crashes caused by drunk drivers, which adds up to one person every 48 minutes according to the NHTSA. Drunk driving is completely preventable. If you were injured or lost a loved one in a drunk driving crash, our car accident lawyers are here to help.
- Drowsy driving. Drowsy driving is deadly, but also completely preventable. Fatigue impairs drivers just as much as driving drunk or drugged.
- Drugged driving. Whether the drugs are legal or illicit, driving while impaired by drugs places the driver and everyone else with whom they must share the road in danger. The startling results of a recent survey by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and the NHTSA revealed that about 20% of drivers tested positive for drugs in a roadside survey taken on weekend nights.
- Distracted driving. Whether the driver is distracted by a passenger in their vehicle, eating or grooming or fiddling with their phone, it is a deadly habit that can increase the risk of accidents, injuries and death.
- Exceeding the speed limit or driving too fast for conditions increase the risk of causing a crash, and it can make an accident more likely to be a fatal one. Speeding caused about 26% of all traffic fatalities in a recent year according to the NHTSA.
- Aggressive or reckless driving. Tailgating and aggressively weaving in and out of traffic can create a hazardous situation which can increase the chances of a crash occurring.
- Poor weather conditions. Heavy rain, ice, sleet, snow, and heavy fog can decrease visibility, make the roads slippery and cause drivers who do not know how to navigate in treacherous conditions to lose control of their vehicle.
- Animal crossings. This is a prime example of a car accident that is not preventable. Wild animals are completely unpredictable, and if a large deer jumps out in front of your vehicle, you may not have time to react without causing a crash
- Defective automotive parts. Defective brakes, airbags, steering systems, tires, and even windshield wipers can cause a traffic accident with injuries or fatalities.
- Uninsured/underinsured drivers. Almost as bad as a hit and run accident, when an uninsured or underinsured driver causes a crash, you may need help in recovering the compensation you need from your own insurance company.
- Construction work zone accidents. The Federal Highway Administration reports that work zone fatalities have increased even as fatal crashes outside of work zones have decreased. There were 799 fatal crashes in work zones in 2017 which is up 2% from the 782 fatalities in 2016.
- Road defects. Potholes, asphalt deficiencies and other forms of distressed pavement, poor road drainage, and other evidence of poor maintenance of public roads can cause accidents with serious injuries.
Examples of car accident injuries
When vehicles collide, it can cause devastating injuries to the occupants of the vehicles involved and possibly pedestrians or innocent bystanders. The severity of a car wreck can range between a mild fender bender to a mangled mass of wreckage, but the body can suffer injury even in a slow speed crash. Here are some examples of the kinds of injuries bodies can sustain in a car accident:
- Neck and back injuries such as whiplash and herniated discs
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) from the force of the crash causing the brain to be crushed up against the inside of the skull
- Spinal cord injury, which can lead to partial or complete paralysis
- Bone fractures from the force of the crash
- Soft tissue injuries such as sprains and strains
- Cuts and lacerations from broken glass and twisted steel
- Burn injuries from fires when fuel tanks explode
- Internal organ damage which can lead to infections
Six tips for hiring and working with a car accident lawyer when you have been injured
If you have been involved in a car wreck, and you have sustained a serious injury that requires medical attention, hospitalization or surgery, it is vital that you consider hiring a car accident lawyer right away. If the car accident was caused by another driver’s negligence, if they were drunk, or speeding or driving recklessly, you may have grounds to take legal action. Don’t feel intimidated by the thought of hiring a lawyer. Here are a few tips to guide you through the process:
- Because most car accident lawyers do not charge for an initial consultation, this makes it easier to schedule a meeting to discuss your case and learn about your legal options. You will get a feel for the attorney’s approach, and you can decide if this is a firm you feel comfortable working with.
- Bring all the information you have about the car accident to your initial consultation. You’ll want to bring your car insurance policy, your health insurance information, hospital bills related to your accident injury, the police report about your accident and the information you collected from the other driver and any witnesses to the crash. Your attorney will use this information to begin to build a case on your behalf.
- If they take cases on contingency, you won’t have to pay attorney fees unless they win compensation for you. If your case is successful, the attorney fees will be deducted as a percentage of the settlement or jury verdict. This way, you have the benefit of being represented by a skilled Mobile car accident lawyer without paying for it up front.
- At the free consultation, discuss the attorney’s fee that they will charge you win. Typically, attorney fees for a personal injury case is a percentage of the settlement amount or the jury’s verdict. Make sure that you know what percentage they will be charging you, and what they estimate might be the amount of incidental charges. If you decide to hire the lawyer, you will receive a contract which outlines the fee structure.
- Be patient. It could take anywhere from a few months to a year or even more to receive compensation after the accident. Your attorney’s firm should keep you advised about any new developments in your case.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. Keep your doctor or other healthcare provider’s appointments and follow through with their treatment plan. Respond to the phone calls and letters from your attorney’s firm. If your case goes to trial and you must appear in court, meet with your attorney and follow his or her instructions about what to wear and what to say to the judge.
How can a Mobile car accident lawyer help me?
If you have been involved in a car accident where you suffered an injury, the insurance company for the driver who caused the accident has likely already started working behind the scenes to determine what your claim might be worth, and how little they can get away with paying you for your losses. You need a Mobile car accident lawyer on your side who will protect your legal rights and fight for fair compensation for you as opposed to the lowball offer that they might extend to someone who is trying to represent themselves. With more than 40 years of combined legal experience, by now we have come across all the tactics that the big insurance companies use to make sure that they can pay out as little as possible.
Your car accident lawyer will usually begin by negotiating with the insurance companies, but if a fair settlement cannot be reached, we will file a lawsuit and take our chances with a jury.
How much is my car wreck injury case worth?
You would not be the first injured client to ask that question at the outset of a case. Sometimes, when people think about lawsuits, they think that they can recover large amounts of money because of someone else’s negligence. What we tell clients is that there is not an accurate way to know what your case is worth in the beginning. Your injuries are still fresh, and you don’t know how they will heal, how much your medical expenses will be and many of the other factors which will influence the outcome of your case are not yet determined.
What we can tell you instead is that your case is in the capable hands of one of the premiere personal injury law firms in Alabama. We have earned a reputation for excellent client care, and for obtaining millions in settlements and jury verdicts for our clients. You do not pay attorney fees unless we win compensation for you, so we have a powerful incentive to fight for the best compensation available for you.
Schedule a consultation with a Mobile car accident lawyer today
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car wreck because of another driver’s negligence? At Mezrano Law Firm, we want to be your first call. Our trusted Mobile car accident injury attorneys represent clients throughout the state. You may call 205-206-6300 or fill out our contact form and schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer right away.
If you have a case, you have a lawyer. Call us today to learn more about how we can help you.