Gadsden Social Security Disability Lawyers
Helping with SSDI claims throughout Alabama
After working hard for years and paying into the system, you suddenly find yourself sick, injured or disabled and unable to keep working. You’re likely plagued with worries about finances and your health. Fortunately, you may be eligible for benefits in the form of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. Unfortunately, however, many first-time SSDI applications end up denied.
If this has happened to you – don’t give up! Many people make the mistake of simply accepting a denial of benefits, even though they’ve worked for that SSDI and are entitled to it. The Social Security Disability attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm in Gadsden are experienced in SSDI claims, and can review your claim or appeal to ensure it gets the attention it deserves. Talk to us today.
You can visit the Gadsden Social Security office at 204 Enterprise Drive, Gadsden, Alabama 35904. Their phone number is 1-877-316-4418.
Eligibility for SSDI in Gadsden
When determining eligibility for benefits, the Social Security Administration (SSA) first considers whether or not you meet the criteria for disability. To make this decision,
The SSA must first determine if you’re disabled when considering your eligibility for SSDI. The Social Security Administration looks at a certain set of criteria when making this decision. A person is disabled if they are unable to:
- Engage in substantial and gainful activity due to a medical, physical or mental ailment that may result in death or has lasted, or can be expected to last, for at least one year.
- Perform the requirements of the job they held before they became impaired.
- Adjust to other types of work because of the physical or psychological impairment combined with their level of education, age, and past experience.
And, there is a wide variety of conditions and illness the SSA considers serious enough to prevent a person from performing gainful activity or job requirements. These conditions can include:
- Cardiovascular conditions
- Digestive tract problems
- Hematological disorders
- Immune system disorders
- Kidney disease and genitourinary problems
- Mental disorders
- Musculoskeletal problems
- Neurological disorders
- Respiratory illnesses
- Skin disorders
- Vision and hearing loss
Types of Social Security Disability benefits
When an employee can’t join or re-join the workforce due to injury or disability (either physical or mental), they may be eligible for SSDI benefits. Your attorney can provide guidance about the specific details of your situation and the benefits available to you. However, following is a brief overview of the major types of benefits.
- Social Security Disability Insurance. SSDI is for employees who have previously paid into the Social Security program via payroll taxes, but due to disability are no longer able to work full-time. As an applicant, you must meet the SSA’s definition of disability and file within five years of the last date you worked continuously. Typically the amount of SSDI awarded depends on your current lifetime total earnings.
- Supplemental Security Income. SSI is for those with disabilities who have very limited incomes and assets. SSI applicants may not have paid into the payroll tax system.
- Disabled widow/widower benefits. If a widow or widower over the age of 50 develops a disability within a certain window after their spouse’s death, they may be eligible for SSDI benefits.
Benefits of a Gadsden SSDI attorney
You’re not legally required to have a Social Security Disability attorney to file a claim. However, a large number of initial claims are denied due to minor reasons. This is why it can be to your benefit to retain an SSDI lawyer to assist with your appeal or even your initial claim.
Many applicants, for example, make the common mistake of filing a new disability claim when their first claim is denied. This can result in almost certain denial, as there is a specific process for appeal, rather than starting again from the beginning. Experienced attorneys can help you avoid novice mistakes and get things right the first time.
The experienced SSDI attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm can give you a better chance of securing the claims and benefits you need. We provide reassuring guidance throughout the process, working with you to document everything related to your diagnosis.
Then, we strengthen your claim with evidence like:
- Accident and injury witness statements
- Earning and wage statements
- Medical records
- Physical therapy records
- Prescription and medication lists
When you partner with us, your job is to rest and continue resting and living. Our job is following up with the SSA, filling out paperwork and working on your claim. We deal with the red tape for you. And, if your claim is approved, we continue working to ensure you receive the maximum benefits to which you’re entitled. If it’s not, we keep on going until you get what you need.
Don’t forget – filing for SSDI benefits and appeals are time sensitive. Get in touch with our attorneys today.
Compassionate Gadsden SSDI attorneys
Don’t give up if your Social Security Disability claim was denied. The lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm will fight to get the benefits you need and deserve. We can help you appeal, or help you file your initial claim for a better chance at success. Call us today at 205-407-1768 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation at our Gadsden office.