Gadsden Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Skilled representation for Alabama riders and passengers
Gadsden, Alabama has plenty of open roads for motorcyclists to go out on pleasure rides or commute on one of our many nice weather days. With highways US-431 and US-278 nearby, as well as miles of local scenic roads, it’s easy to get where you want to go, or just take a ride to get out there and enjoy your bike.
However, motorcyclists must share the road with other, larger vehicles, and sometimes these cars and trucks can cause accidents, leaving people like you injured through no fault of their own. Depending on the circumstances of an accident, the injured party can experience long-term injury or permanent disability. The Gadsden personal injury attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm can help if you were injured in a motorcycle accident. We’ll investigate your accident thoroughly and work to ensure you’re compensated for your injuries and losses. Schedule a consultation with us today to get started.
Causes of Gadsden motorcycle accidents
A 2016 U.S. Department of Transportation report shows that, across the country, nearly 5,300 motorcyclists were killed in accidents. And 96 of these motorcyclists were killed in Alabama. Unfortunately, the very thing that motorcyclists love about their bikes – the feeling of being close to road and the open air, unconfined by the structure of a car – is also the very thing that makes motorcycle accidents potentially so much more serious than other accidents.
Often, however, these accidents are due to the negligence of other motorists who aren’t paying proper attention to motorcyclists and bikes on the road. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Bad weather. Because of its small size and footprint, it can be difficult to spot a motorcycle in inclement weather with limited visibility like rain, fog and clouds. When other drivers aren’t paying careful attention in this type of weather, they can easily miss a motorcycle’s headlights, tail lights or brake lights.
- Blind turns. Motorcyclists always need to take special care when navigating a turn – especially sharp and blind curves. Unfortunately, some drivers or truckers may not remember or even bother to watch out for a bike coming the opposite way, which can cause a fatal head-on collision.
- Distracted driving. It’s illegal to text and drive in Alabama, but many drivers do it anyway, and they can cause serious motorcycle and car accidents. Whenever a driver performs an activity that takes their attention off the road, it’s distracted driving and they become a hazard to anyone around them.
- Drunk driving. Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs are dangerous to everyone. They display unpredictable behavior, poor judgment and delayed reflexes. No matter how many safety precautions a motorcyclist takes while out on the road, a drunk driver can change everything in a second.
- Rear-end crashes. Rear-end accidents and fender-benders are typically minor accidents where people can walk away with bumps or bruises. However, if a motorcycle is rear-ended by a passenger vehicle, a rider can be thrown completely from their bike – into a stationary object or into traffic, suffering severe injuries.
- Reckless driving. Road rage or excessive speeding can quickly turn tragic. Aggressive drivers tailgate, swerve in and out of lanes and otherwise act unpredictably. State troopers warn to never engage aggressive drivers, and to avoid them instead. Unfortunately, reckless drivers still cause serious accidents.
- Road conditions. Sometimes a motorcycle accident isn’t caused by another driver all, but by bad road conditions. Hazardous road conditions occur when things like road debris make riding dangerous – potholes, spilled truck cargo, tree limbs, etc.
Common Gadsden motorcycle crash injuries
Even a minor motorcycle might leave you with injuries like road rash or broken bones. These can take days or weeks to heal. An accident with a larger car or truck, however, can leave you with serious or even catastrophic injuries that can cause long-term or permanent disability. In other cases, a loved one or family member may have lost their life because of another person’s negligence or recklessness.
Common injuries suffered by motorcyclists in an accident include:
- Back and spinal injuries
- Broken and fractured bones
- Burns and road rash
- Chronic pain
- Facial injuries
- Internal injuries
- Lacerations and cuts
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Wrongful death
Wearing a helmet can save your life if you’re involved in an accident on your motorcycle. Alabama state law requires motorcyclists wear protective helmets while riding.
How your Gadsden motorcycle accident lawyer can help
Even if you’re the safest biker in Alabama, wear all the proper protective gear, and obey every traffic law, you can’t prevent a careless driver from causing an accident. And, as we talked about before, the lack of a protective frame around a motorcycle makes it more likely for bikers to experience serious injuries in the event of a crash.
The legal team at Mezrano Law Firm has decades of experience in recovering compensation for victims of motorcycle accidents, and we bring that experience to you. We work tirelessly to recover your losses, including:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Current and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, awarded by the court when appropriate
We understand that some people have a bias against bikers, and we ensure you are represented and heard without prejudice. We investigate your claim from every angle, building the strongest possible case against the negligent party. Our goal is secure you the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Talk to experienced Gadsden motorcycle accident lawyers
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident due to someone else’s carelessness, let the attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm protect your rights. We fight to get your medical bills paid, and recover the compensation you need to recover from your injuries. Call us today at 205-206-6300 or fill out our contact form to set up a consultation at our Gadsden office.