Alabama's Personal Injury Lawyer
(205) 206-6300

Alabama Car Accident Lawyers Discuss Road Defects

Working hard for victims of car crashes throughout the state

Typically, if you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you can file a personal injury claim against him or her for damages. However, if the negligent party that caused your injury was a city, county or state governmental agency, things get a little bit more complicated. Given that the rules for filing a governmental claim are different for every state, the following information pertains to Alabama.

At Mezrano Law Firm, we have helped Alabama clients who have been injured in car accidents caused by road defects. We know what it takes to bring a successful claim against a county and state government because we have done it. We are here to help you recover the compensation you need after an injury caused by road defects or negligent city or county workers. We provide a free initial consultation where you can discuss your case, and you will not pay attorney fees unless we are able to recover compensation for you.

Examples of different types of road defects

When you think about a road defect, the first thing that might come to mind is a huge pothole, but road defects can encompass many different types of defects that can cause serious injuries and property damage, including:

  • Malfunctioning traffic signals
  • Defective signage
  • Missing or inadequate guardrails
  • Dangerous curves
  • Poor drainage
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Faded lane markings
  • Crumbling or uneven asphalt
  • Deficient paving
  • Narrow road shoulder
  • Road construction hazards
  • Inadequate warning around construction sites
  • Poor intersection design

Who can you sue when you have been injured in a car accident caused by road defects?

Regardless of the details of your injury, if the accident was caused by the negligence of a government agency, all is not always lost. You may be able to fight city hall and win.

Roads are maintained by the city or town, county or state government authorities. So, if the accident that caused your injury was because of defective roadway design, negligent maintenance, or some other shortcoming on the part of the government agency in question, if you want to recover compensation for your injuries or property damage, you will have to file a claim against the appropriate authority.

In addition to suing a government agency for your property damage and injuries, you may also be able to hold a private contractor responsible if he or she had a contract with the government authority to maintain or repair the road where your accident occurred.

If a defective automotive part played a role in the accident, you may also be able to hold the manufacturer responsible for your losses.

Filing a claim against a governmental authority can be complicated, and different rules apply than for filing a personal injury claim against a negligent driver. Working with an experienced Alabama car accident lawyer will help to make sure that you meet all of the applicable deadlines, that all of the proper forms are filled out and submitted, and that the right evidence is included. You can feel confident when you are working with car accident lawyers from Mezrano Law Firm because we have experience handling claims caused by defective roadway design.

Can I sue the city or county if I was injured in an accident caused by a police vehicle, garbage truck, or city bus?

Yes, you can file a claim against the state of Alabama, or against a municipality or county government responsible for the negligence which caused the accident where you were injured.

What does immunity mean when trying to sue a government authority?

Sovereign immunity is a throwback concept from English common law, which forbade subjects of the king to sue the king. This idea of immunity found its way into federal and state laws in the United States.

State governments enjoy immunity from lawsuits in many cases, but Alabama’s Board of Adjustment is the state board which provides a venue for individuals or businesses to seek payment for damages for personal injury or property damage that was caused by the state, its agencies commissions, boards, institutions, or departments. The website for the board of adjustments advises those who are considering filing a claim to consult with a lawyer to determine if it is the proper venue for their case.

What are the steps to follow to file a claim against a local government in Alabama?

Hire an Alabama personal injury lawyer with experience filing claims against the government.

At Mezrano Law Firm, we have handled cases involving road defects. We have helped clients recover compensation from a county and state government and from a negligent manufacturer. We are eager to put our knowledge and experience to work fighting for justice for you.

Discover the statute of limitations for filing a claim against a governmental authority in Alabama.

  • If your accident took place on a city or municipal road, there is a legal time limit of 6 months from the date of the accident to file a notice of claim.
  • If your accident occurred on a state highway, you have one year from the date of injury or two years for claims for injury resulting in death.
  • If your accident happened on a federal or interstate highway, you have two years from the date of the accident to file an administrative claim with the appropriate government agency.

File a notice of claim before the deadline.

Your Alabama personal injury attorney will help you complete the forms and submit them properly.

Gather evidence and prepare your case.

Your lawyer will make sure that you have the evidence you need for a successful claim.

There is also the option of participating in mediation with the state to resolve your case, but it is not mandatory. Again, when you are being represented by an experienced Alabama personal injury attorney from Mezrano Law Firm, all of these complicated details will be taken care of for you.

Types of Cases We Handle

Our attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:

Mezrano Law Firm provides experienced representation for those injured in car accidents caused by road defects

With more than 40 years of combined legal experience, the Alabama car accident attorneys at Mezrano Law Firm are here to pursue justice on behalf of their injured clients even when it requires filing a claim against a government entity. With locations in Birmingham, Florence, Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, and Tuscaloosa, we are here to serve your legal needs. You can schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced Alabama personal injury lawyer by calling 205-206-6300 or filling out our contact form now.

If you have a case, you have a lawyer. Call us today to learn more.


alabama personal injury lawyer logo
© Copyright 2021 | Mezrano Law Firm, P.C. | All Rights Reserved 
envelopemap-marker linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram