Alabama Car Accident Attorneys Discuss Head-On Collisions
Helping victims of head-on car crashes throughout the state
Head-on car accidents occur when one vehicle collides head-on with another vehicle traveling in the opposite direction. When these accidents happen at highway speeds, as occurs when one vehicle veers out of its lane and into oncoming traffic, the outcome is often fatal. It can be upsetting to realize that many of the causes of head-on crashes are preventable and they occur because of the negligence or recklessness of the driver who caused the crash.
At Mezrano Law Firm, we are here to guide you through the challenging process of pursuing a car accident claim after a catastrophic injury or the death of a loved one in a head-on traffic accident. You are encouraged to contact us to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Causes of head-on car wrecks
One of the most tragic facts about head-on crashes is that most could have been prevented because they are often caused by driver impairment or distraction such as:
- Drowsy driving. The driver falls asleep at the wheel and loses control of the vehicle. If the car is traveling on a roadway with vehicles traveling in both directions and no divider, a vehicle can drift into the oncoming lane and cause a terrible accident.
- Drunk driving or drugged driving. Alcohol or drug use can impair a driver’s ability to control the vehicle and keep it from swerving into oncoming traffic.
- Distracted driving. This is not limited to texting or talking on the phone but also includes eating, grooming, interacting with other occupants in the vehicle, or being distracted by something going on outside the vehicle.
- Aggressive, reckless driving. This includes swerving in and out of traffic sometimes at unsafe speeds which can increase the chance of causing a head-on crash.
- Dangerous road conditions. Negligent roadway maintenance, bad weather such as ice, snow, fog, or heavy rain can cause drivers to swerve out of their lane.
Injuries from head-on car accidents
Some injuries that can occur from a head-on traffic accident include:
- Head injuries which can occur from the powerful forces in a head-on crash even in those in seats across from air bags.
- Traumatic brain injury, which can occur even if there is no skull fracture when the brain crashes into the inside of the hard skull damaging the fragile connections in the brain. TBI can have life-long, damaging effects on the injured person.
- Back and neck injuries such as whiplash are possible from the slamming forward and backward motion from the crash.
- Spinal cord injuries, which may be more common for occupants who were not restrained can occur.
- Bone fractures in the face, neck, collarbone, knees, ankles and feet are a possibility when the front end of the striking vehicle pushes into the passenger compartment.
- Cuts and lacerations from the broken glass and shards of metal often happens.
- Internal organ damage such as lacerated liver or bruised kidneys is not uncommon.
The Insurance Information Institute (III) reports that head-on traffic crashes were only 2.3% of the total number of crashes and 4.1% of accidents with injuries in a recent year, but they represented 10.2% of fatal traffic crashes. In these numbers, the head-on crashes were collisions with other moving vehicles as opposed to a fixed object. So, head-on collisions are not incredibly common, but they can be deadly, or result in catastrophic injuries.
How our Alabama car accident lawyers from Mezrano Law Firm help those injured in head-on car accidents
Our experienced Alabama car accident lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm take on the legal burden of pursuing your car accident injury claim. When you feel confident that your claim is being handled professionally, you can turn your attention to restoring your health and spending time with your family. Some of the things our legal team will handle for you include:
- Communications and negotiations with the insurance company
- Gathering supporting evidence to document your claim for compensation
- Manage the flow of your case, keep track of filing deadlines and maintain the momentum of your case
- Anything else required to protect your interests
How much does it cost to hire a car accident lawyer?
We take all personal injury cases on contingency, so you do not pay attorney fees unless we are able to recover compensation for you. Our firm advances the cost of pursuing your claim, and then after the settlement or the jury verdict, we get paid a percentage of the total. So, you enjoy the benefit of being represented by one of the premiere personal injury firms in the state, without having to pay an expensive retainer at the outset of the case. When we meet for your free initial consultation, we explain how our fee structure works, and any additional incidental costs related to your claim.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
Schedule a free consultation with Alabama’s trusted personal injury team
After a serious injury or the loss of a loved one in a head-on crash, you can rely on compassionate representation from the car accident lawyers at Mezrano Law Firm. With offices in Birmingham, Florence, Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, and Tuscaloosa, our experienced car accident lawyers are never too far away when you need us. You are encouraged to schedule your free initial consultation to discuss your case. Please call 205-407-1768 or fill out our contact form.
If you have a case, you have a lawyer. Call us today to learn more.