Motorcycles are a popular mode of transportation for a wide variety of reasons. They enable riders to enjoy the outdoors without the interference of an enclosed interior. They let you park more easily in cities because they’re smaller. They cost less to insure.
There are a lot of great things about motorcycles, but safety isn’t necessarily one of them. You can get really, really hurt while on your bike, especially if the roads are unsafe or other drivers aren’t paying attention.
What are common causes of motorcycle accidents?
- Distractions, as drivers also may be talking on the phone, looking at a map, or the like when they are operating their vehicles
- Driver inexperience, as drivers with less experience are more likely to make dangerous moves on the road than drivers with more experience
- Automobile doors, as sometimes car doors are opened near moving motorcycles
- Hazardous road conditions, such as potholes, pavement cracks, and poor or nonexistent signage and/or signals
- Motorcycle defects, such as defective brakes or tires
- Speeding, leading to decreased reaction time and increased crash impact
- Failure to check blind spots before changing lanes
- Driving under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol (DUI)
- Sudden stops and braking
Note that lane splitting, which is riding between two lanes or lines of cars, is illegal in Alabama. Lane sharing, however, is legal.
Alabama motorcycle accident injuries and losses
There’s a wide spectrum of physical and mental trauma that you might suffer as a result of motorcycle accident. Injuries and issues accident victims often face include:
- Damage to motorcycles, automobiles, public property, and private property
- Road rash
- Nerve damage
- Loss of limbs
- Anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress
- Vision loss
- Hearing loss
- Chronic pain
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries (SCIs)
- Burn injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
How an Alabama motorcycle accident lawyer can help
Even if you’re the most experienced biker and follow every traffic law, you can’t stop negligent and careless drivers from causing accidents. And if this happens to you, you likely have injuries and medical bills. A personal injury attorney will work to secure compensation for your losses, including:
- Medical expenses, current and future
- Lost wages and future earning potential
- Property loss
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, awarded by the court in appropriate cases
It’s important you know your rights when you’re hurt in an accident that wasn’t your fault.
Mezrano Law Firm is proud to provide a wide variety of legal services to their clients throughout the great state of Alabama. If you, a friend, and/or a family member were in a motorcycle crash and were injured as a result, reach out to an experienced Alabama motorcycle accident attorney today. We have offices in Birmingham, Florence, Gadsden, Mobile, Montgomery, and Tuscaloosa. Call our office at 205-649-3552 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation today.