Who Qualifies to be Entered in the Contest?
Student-athlete nominees must:
- Reside within Birmingham and surrounding areas
- Be a senior in High School while the contest is going on
- Be involved in one or more of the school athletic programs (i.e., football, soccer, cheerleading, etc.)
*If the student-athlete is a minor at the time of nomination, our station must receive an appearance release. This appearance release will allow the student-athlete to appear in the newscast and may be used in promotional material for the news station.
Who is NOT Eligible to be Nominated?
- European Union Residents and Citizens are not eligible.
- Employees and employee family members* of Sinclair Television Group
- Employees and employee family members* of Mezrano Law Firm
- Employees and employee family members* of Prize providers
- Employees and employee family members* of the marketing or advertising agencies
- Employees and employee family members* of any other local TV, radio, or other media stations
- Student-athletes whose parents work at their school. Student-athletes parents who work at the student's school will be immediately disqualified.
*Family members include children, grandchildren, spouses, domestic partners, siblings, grandparents, and any other related individual that lives in the same house as the employee.
How To Enter to Win the Scholar-Athlete of the Year Scholarship
- To enter a student-athlete, they must be a senior, competing in a sport, maintain a 3.25 or higher GPA and participate in extracurricular activities. By nominating, you agree that the student-athlete meets the criteria (listed above) to win the prize.
- Each participating high school parent, coach, principal, athletic director or teacher can only nominate a student-athlete once to be the Scholar-Athlete of the Week.
- Someone at the school will notify the winning Scholar-Athlete of the Week.
- Additionally, each Scholar-Athlete of the Week must fill out an informational form and sign an appearance release. If these forms are not received before the broadcast, the student may not be able to appear on the show.
- Each week on Friday Night Rivals high school football game of the week, aired on WABM MY68 station. The chosen Student-Athletes of the Week will be recognized as the Scholar Athletes of the Week. In addition, they may appear in an on-air promotion that may air on the station throughout the week.
- Each Nominee will be eligible to win the big prize, the Scholar-Athlete of the Year Scholarship.
Each student-athlete that was nominated for Student-Athlete of the Week and wishes to enter to win the scholarship must submit:
One two-minute (2:00) video in the form of a DVD or electronic video file (i.e., .mov, .mpeg, .wma, or .avi only). This video CAN ONLY BE PRODUCED BY THE NOMINEE. The video must outline the following:
- Grade Point Average/Academic standing
- Athletic Achievement
- Community Activities and
- Why Nominee deserves the Scholarship.
If any Scholar-Athlete of the Week does not submit the video portion of the entry to the Mezrano Law Firm by the Wednesday before each Friday Night Rival game , then the Scholar-Athlete of the Week will be disqualified.
Entries must be mailed to Mezrano Law Firm, Pc 31 Inverness Center Parkway, Suite 350; Birmingham Al 35242. The Firm is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected mail/entries or printing errors. Entrants can also email the video to: firstname.lastname@example.org or submit the form at mezrano.com/athlete-of-the-week.
Scholar Athletes of the Week, by entering:
- Confirms that the video submitted is their original work and does not violate the rights of any third parties.
- Agree that the station has the right to use the student-athlete’s appearance, likeness, and voice.
- Agree that the station can use the video submission in any media.
- Agree that the station may edit or crop the video without advance notice or permission.
On the Winner Determination Date(s):
The handpicked judges will determine one Scholar-Athlete winner among all the Scholar-Athlete of the Week nominee’s who submitted their entry video on time or at all. This selection will be based on their judging criteria.
What if There is a Tie?
Between the tied student-athlete of the week nominees, the one with the highest score for the grade point average with being the winner.
All decisions by the judges are final.